Sunday, May 8, 2011

Guest Post from 'I Heart Colorado'!

Hi all! I’m Amber from I Heart Colorado. While I normally don’t post on fashion, I’ve been giving it serious thought lastly as I've been emulating fashion bloggers (Ashlee, in particular) for months. I long to be as fashionable as all of you! Every now and then, a picture-worthy outfit comes together and I take full advantage of the opportunity to share my success. Ashlee asked me to do a post for the Kentucky Derby, and I was more than happy to oblige.

The Kentucky Derby calls for big hats and mint juleps. I had both on Saturday! While real southern gals tend to go all out with over-the-top hats and dresses, I like to keep it simple. Like Ashlee, I am a
thrift store hound. I love the thrill of the hunt and the joy that comes from scoring a great deal on a hidden gem. This dress is one of my favorite finds ($1 from the Habitat for Humanity thrift store)! And, don’t tell anyone, but I wore this hat for the Derby last year.

Apparently, I was right on with my color scheme. Nearly all the gals at the Derby party I attended were wearing black and white. It’s hard to go wrong with a black dress and a big hat. And over-sized sunglasses can’t hurt either!

I didn’t do any betting (I like to save my cash for the thrift store!), but I was pleased as punch with my outfit and happy to be sipping mint juleps in the sunshine all afternoon!





Dress: Gap (thrifted), Hat: Cynthia Rowley from TJ Maxx, Shoes: Steve Madden from TJ
Maxx, Necklace: Hope Café in Reno (a graduation gift from my mom!), Sunglasses:
Italian (thrifted)
Before you ask, her tattoo says, "Happiness is a journey, not a destination." There's your inspiration for Monday morning!

4 comments:

  1. I love that quote!!! And her hat, wow, I want one!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, and NO I didn't clean for hours..hehe. Somedays it's a tornado, but most days I am a clean freak!

    Stephanie&Such

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS you are a runner? You go girl! I ran a 5k on Saturday! Wooh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great guest post! I have several friends who went to the Derby and I can't wait to see the pictures of their outfits (especially the hats).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber, darling, this is a splendid and very simply spiffy outfit. You look so well "put together" and chic. I love everything about it especially how you only have four items. So pretty on you. Funny, I just bought Ashlee a dress similar to this with a similar hat. Hee, great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!